Sign in to follow this  
pikachu

Martial Arts

I now train MMA (same style as used in UFC or CFC or King of the Cage) its a combo of Muay Thai, BJJ, Greko Roman Wrestling and some JUDO and as a full contact sport id find it VERY VERY hard to see anything come close to beating this combination.

I was a Thai Boxer for many many years and some of my mates that trained MMA wanted to go a few rounds with me to get them ready for a fight, as i was a good striker they asked me to train with them, well i did quite well holding them off with my strikes till they worked it out and BAM i was on my back and choked out befor i could blink!

It has alot to do with the fighter to in full contact fighting, we have had many black belts from various styles come thru with there fancy ariel shit but when they cop a double jabb and big hook to the head they run like babies.

Anyone who knows anyone knows its RexKwonDo.

You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?

header2.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHA i remember that xD

there is no best martial art

agreed. different arts have different techniques and styles.

i do muay thai, but keen as to start arakan

I do Hapkido, I believe it suits me the best.

As for the best, no one has ever agreed on one, and NS sure as hell isn't going to be the first :P

been doing IKMF Krav Maga for about a year now ... just about to go for my 4th patch... and loving it..!

I've trained a quite a few, id say more of a combination fighter.

Im partial to a few though, love my Muai Thai, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Ikedo, wing chung sticky fists ftmfw!

I want to get into the drunken wushoo stuff man lol i love it

Whatever Jet Li does LOL, he is a machine, 45 years old and still kickin ass.

There is no ultimate fighting style.

But for stand up I think kick boxing/boxing/muay thai, kyokushin karate. ground fighting BJJ

I hope those styles dont end up like TKD etc since they are becoming very popular especially kick boxing/boxing/muay that and BJJ.

like many have said, MMA/UFC style ftw, its a mix of kick boxing, grapling etc teaches probably the best of all techniques, however i still am inclined to say Jeet Kun Do (bruce lee style for those that dont know).

I dont think there is any1 that can practice jeet kun do as effective as bruce lee did, however i dont see any modern or past fighter of any style challenging bruce lee in his own style. This is would be with both fighters in their prime.

taekwondo is cool, i did it for a few years, nearly got my black belt but then i got over it. Lots of awesome kicks in taekwondo, not so gud with the punching and upper body stuff. Well thats from the style i was taught.

Anyone who knows anyone knows its RexKwonDo.

You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?

header2.jpg

.......... Not on your life.

Krav Maga, thats the one the Israeli military uses right?

Ambiguous question, It's like asking what is the best colour.

This has been covered plenty of times before so no need for detail, however I believe the general consensus was match the style to the individual via three different variables:

1. Your body type/level of physical fitness.

2. Your disposition/attitude and personality.

3. Your intention -> Are you training to be a cage fighter/a street brawler or purely for knowledge.

When you find a martial art that matches your results from these three variables you should be onto something you can enjoy and gain some benefit from.

I am currently looking into starting a new martial art now that I am settled in Sydney; thinking about finding an aikido dojo somewhere for something different.

The problem with many martial arts is that the methods taught revolve solely around that form of fighting. The defensive techniques learnt are based on situations where your fighting some1 using the same style of martial arts. Thats why many ppl say MMA is the best since it teaches you a variety of styles and techniques which can be used for self defense on the street.

Muay Thai for stand up... BJJ for ground.. put em together and u get a MMA guy whos fairly dangerous..

there is no best martial art

I agree with this statement. Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do was that phrase in a nutshell.

All of the above < Chuck Norris :lol:

haha, no one can face the power of chuck norris

now if u could cross chuck norris with steven segal and mr t then u'd have an ultimate style.

it'd be a roundhouse kicking, arm breaking trash talking whisper style

Gonna revive this thread!

I got the okay to compete in tournaments of all sorts from the master of my Dojang now :D

Honestly for a while I lost a bit of excitement about my martial arts, while I loved it still there was just something missing, now that i've gotten the ok to compete i'm more determined then ever!

Anyway in SA wanna do some free sparring some time? Nothing serious just a bit of fun :)

Muay Thai for stand up... BJJ for ground.. put em together and u get a MMA guy whos fairly dangerous..

MMA is a little bit more involved than that but its a good base.

Did Freestyle tai kwon do for a while, it was ok...

Started jowga kungfu but it was pussy too much dancing around and never got to spar anyone...

When summer hits going to try Muay Thai.

I dont see the point in training a martial art if dont get to spar or hit or be hit.

exactly why i left... i am sure there are alotof decent kung fu places out there. This one was just a joke...

What good is technique if u cant take a punch to the head?

I dont see the point in training a martial art if dont get to spar or hit or be hit.

exactly why i left... i am sure there are alotof decent kung fu places out there. This one was just a joke...

What good is technique if u cant take a punch to the head?

Your right, no amount of training can stop a knock out tho but you can serverly reduce the chance of being knocked out by training a full contact art.

What you do get tho is the ability to not get rocked and what i mean by this is if you take a hit to the head that doesnt knock you out then you dont just end up like a deer in headlights, you can still function and continue to fight no problems.

I dont know how many times i have had big roided up scary looking guys come train with this tuff guy attitudes and when you pop them right on the chin they stand there like stunned mullets!

back at muay thai for a month now! after being on and off for years more off though ahaha

pretty keen once i get fit again to step it up a notch and join the fighters class

but after watching "never back down" (most corniest movie i know)

would be keen to try mma

as for the topic

agree with all the above especially rexkwondo! hahaha

Muah thai rocks it really does but MMA is where it is at!!

My first exposure to MMA was helpping a mate get ready for a MMA fight against a striker so i was the crash test dummy, he didnt have much of an aswer for my striking but then we did a few rounds MMA rules! f**k ME it took him a few secs to get in on me then next thing im on my back eating fistfulls of leather!

Get your ass to MMA you will never look back

hmmm

theres an other gym here on the coast that does both muay thai and mma might give them a shot

but im really like the style of how the gym im at does things.

maybe its because its the only style i know? hahah