Sign in to follow this  
Keish.LB

Who on NS rides?

I bloody forgot. I rode in today though - so damn nice outside.

I bloody forgot. I rode in today though - so damn nice outside.

it was a brilliant day.

last few days have been great riding weather.

think we had around 23-24 people ride in last week for ride to work.

great turnout.

hopefully more of them start riding more frequently.

I only ever ride to work now.. Driving was a waste of time. Turns out its quickerr for me to ride, than it is to drive.. After you consider traffic, petrol and parking, riding is such a breeze!

i've been riding everywhere lately, but i really need to get a road bike, preferably a fixy. anyone in adelaide selling one cheap?

going to turn the mountain bike into a bit of a trials bike, but i'm having issues lifting the rear up. i'm running platform pedals and i can't quite get the rear up a decent height without slipping off, should i run clips instead?

Yeah I'm looking for something cheap too for commuting. Not easy. Hoping to build up a singlespeed cyclocross bike as my commute is about 60% gravel but "cheap" is near impossible.

You should be able to do trials with flats. Once you go pro, go clips if you want. Personally I'd prefer to be able to bail. Just work on technique... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and so on.

A fixie? Haha, come on! I read way too much BikeSnob NYC to ever consider owning one, although I do own a 'singlespeed' (freewheel) roadbike with brakes which is unreal for commuting. Think I mentioned it a whle back but I bought an old steel roadbike (29'er), stripped it and rebuilt it (minus ), flopped and chopped the bars and it rides so well. Originally I bought it as a sh1tter to chain up at the train-station but it's now probably my most preferred bike to ride almost anywhere. Can easily clock up 50+ km without a drama and can easily maintain 25km/h+ on the flat.

You see the problem with clip-in pedals being referred to as 'clipless' by the industry? You tell people you ride 'clipless' and they say "Oh you should upgrade to clip-in pedals"! Agreed VR4, you shifters/deraillerusshould be able to ride trials on a platform pedals as it's slow moving and you'll be bailing left,right, and centre.

A fixie? Haha, come on! I read way too much BikeSnob NYC to ever consider owning one, although I do own a 'singlespeed' (freewheel) roadbike with brakes which is unreal for commuting. Think I mentioned it a whle back but I bought an old steel roadbike (29'er), stripped it and rebuilt it (minus ), flopped and chopped the bars and it rides so well. Originally I bought it as a sh1tter to chain up at the train-station but it's now probably my most preferred bike to ride almost anywhere. Can easily clock up 50+ km without a drama and can easily maintain 25km/h+ on the flat.

And people still give me shit about riding a singlespeed rigid for XC. It's a heap of fun (when you're fit).

my mate has two fixies and they are so nice to ride. i've got a bit of a hill up to my place but i barely use the gears on my bike as it is, so i don't really need them.

I just competed in a 24 hour MTB race on the weekend. Bloody hard work but I made the whole 24 hours so that was my goal.thumbsup.gif

respect heavyman! i want to start doing some enduros. hopefully in the next few weeks i can sort out a bike to commute on more regularly so i can get my fitness back up to be able to do the k's.

my mate has two fixies and they are so nice to ride. i've got a bit of a hill up to my place but i barely use the gears on my bike as it is, so i don't really need them.

would you use brakes? bloody hard work slowing down on a fixie! but respect if you have the strength. i've been thinking about buying a surly steamroller.. you can chuck a rear brake on them if need be.

vr4: yeah I used to ride a bit ofXC on the Avanti that was converted to singlespeed and I really enjoyed it but the gearing was too slow for riding around town.

I'd love to see the correlation between increased fixie purchasing and increased hospital admissions. I see a lot of people struggling around town on something that is essentially an incredibly dangerous vehicle unless you are a track rider or seasoned courier. Don't gimme that "Skids man, skids!" as your reaction time suffers dramatically.

i'd still run a front brake, i'm not that crazy.

unfortunately a lot of people that buy them are posers and don't ride that much, so i don't think they would be that dangerous. i'm going to get one because i need a road bike and i don't need gears.

most of the newer bikes have a flippable wheel so you can run either fixed or freewheel gear

Realistically unless you're a courier you shouldn't be going that fast through a city anyway. If you make the choice the ride a fixie you should know your limits.

Although as with everything in society (cars, bikes, drinking, etc, etc, etc..) some people don't know their limits and hurt themselves/others.

IMO most people who buy fixies aren't 'cyclists' but rather followers of a fashion/lifestyle trend. The fixie is the bicycle equivalent to the iPhone or skinny-leg jeans: you don't know why but you've got to have one. Thus, I honestly don't think many of these hipsters do know their limits and you definitely don't need to be going fast to take yourself or someone else out.

serious14_guy: yeah it's called a flip-flop hub and they've been around since the early days of BMX.

I rode fixed for a little while on my On One Il Pompino a few years back.

1ebayapril2008.jpg

Just never really got into it. Probably because it was such a long commute. I shouldn't have sold that bike though. It's exactly what I want now - just with wider tyres.

2817.gif

bit of a bumpski

anyone use here for parts and gear?

http://www.tbsm.com.au/

good? bad? ugly?

i know this is from a while back, but tbsm are brilliant. i always use them. two days ago i ordered online at 3:30, that were at my door at 9 the next morning. Postage is free, service is great (in person as well.

long story short - i absolutely love TBSM

oh yeah, ride a Da Bomb Moab Bomb, rock shock 318 domain, and so on.

anyone know where i can get some bike shorts that won't make me look like a tosser but breathe well enough so that i don't end up soaked in sweat?

Yeah just look for 'shy shorts': heaps of companies make em (Netti, Fox, Castelli, etc.). Baggyish but still generally have a chamois in them so your ass doesn't get sore.

10946_1272162158466_1062256700_870266_2903077_n.jpg

Took delivery of my Eastern Nighttrain today. Bucket of fun to ride. Blows my old Transition Trail or Park out of the water.

Mint looking rig! That chainstay is sub 15 isn't it? Tight!

I'd hit up a blue stem to offset the rims though.

Mine is slowly coming together now... NS Rotary hub and mavic 325 for the rear. Running 25/9 atm. In search of a purple 23t sprocket to lighten the load a bit. Plenty of 23's around, I just want a purple one!!

ghiu.jpg

Yeah 14.7" chainstay.

I actually just took the Juicy 3's that it came with off. I'll probably sell them. At the moment running a BB5 rear that I had lying around and it's actually not that bad. Someone at my local club has some Hope Mono Mini Pro's for sale 140mm rear rotor and 160mm front. I'm thinking of buying them and just running the rear and chucking the front on when I want to do some 4x. I reckon I can sell the Juicy 3's and buy the Hopes and not spend any money doing it.

Aside from swapping the brakes it's "stock" at the moment. I have a DMR Headstock stem that I'll probably swap out the Eastern unit for. Also have some NS Pure 4130 bars that I might chuck on but need to weight both sets. There's a heap of rise on the stock bars though so I reckon I'll prefer riding with them.

Pic of bars:

pure4130-side.jpg

Finally rode You Yangs last week when my cousin was over from WA. Only had a few runs as it was a hot day and we had no way to shuttle so we had to ride/push up for each run. Was blown away by "Cressy's Climb" as it was such an awesome mix of berms, drop-offs, rock-garden, etc. Pushed the limits of my pretty average MTB skills but I was loving it! Saw some guys on long-travel DH bikes shuttling using a horse-float to store the bikes, which seemed like a pretty good idea.

I googled "Cressy's Climb" and found that Rotorburn.com has a 30+ page thread devoted to best times!

http://www.rotorburn.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178494

Horse float.. thats a good idea.

I've just changed my "singlespeed" around a bit. Cross country obviously requires an easier gear ratio to ride with than commuting. Since I use the same bike to ride to work with, I'm a bit screwed there. It's either have a bastard of a time riding XC, or be spinning out riding on the road.

Solution? Make it a "dinglespeed". :D

Two gear ratios, very similar chain length. Drop the wheel, flick the chain over and it goes from XC to commuter and back with ease.

DSCN0019 (Large).JPG

DSCN0020 (Cropped).JPG

any SA lads going to go check out the nationals up at eagles in a few weeks?